For the 5th year in a row, the Annapolis Film Festival will return to downtown Annapolis March 30 – April 2, 2017. Packed with dozens of domestic and international documentary features and shorts, narrative features and shorts, student films, and full length feature films, the AFF is must for all movie lovers.
The festival is spread out across downtown Annapolis in a number of different locations ranging from Maryland Hall for the Creative Arts to St. John’s College in the Key Auditorium. Lectures and discussions are also held to give festival-goers insight into the processes used by directors, actors, and writers.
Check back for updates as the AFF gets closer! For the full film slate and the latest news for 2017's festival, visit the AFF website.
HOW TO FEST
Is this your first film festival? If so, check out these tips to help you get the most out of your experience. Planning ahead ensures that you get to see all the films on your itinerary; it also gives you a chance to experience some unexpected bonuses.
1) A pass is the way to go! Clear your calendar and enjoy three days of more than 70 films, panels, showcases and events. Four-day VIP passes are $105 and include entry into ever screening, event, and discussion throughout the festival. Adult passes are $12 per screening. Students and senior tickets are $8. Four-day student passes, and one-day adult passes, are available for $40. A Festival pass provides you with priority seating for all screenings, space permitting.
2) Plan, plan, plan! Visit the Film Festival website or pick up a program. Check out our extraordinary selection of films, and plan!
3) Come prepared. Make sure you have your pass, your plan, and your program, and that you know where and when your first film is being screened. Arrive at least twenty minutes before the start time to ensure a seat and avoid crowds.
4) Make the most of this opportunity. Film festivals allow you to see films that won't be screened at your local movie theater. Watch a film about a subject you don't know much about. Meet a filmmaker and ask questions about the film you've just viewed. Our films represent an amazing variety of subjects and themes. There really is something for everyone.
5) Attend panel discussions. These panels are led by filmmakers and leaders in various industries on range of topics. See the Festival Highlights in our program for more details on the remarkable participants in these illuminating discussions.
6) Fill out your ballots. At every screening, you'll be handed a ballot to rate the film. Please return these ballots to an usher after voting as they will determine the winners of the "Best of the Fest," which will be shown on Sunday afternoon at Maryland Hall.
7) Be flexible. Yes, there will be lines. They will be filled with interesting people for you to meet and talk to while waiting. If it looks like you might not get into that event, have a second choice ready. We have three full days of films and panels in eight different venues. If you go with the flow, you will find many things to do and see.
8) Enjoy our wonderful town. Rain or shine, Annapolis is a great place to visit and to walk from venue to venue (or grab the free circulator). With countless places to enjoy between films, this is your chance to mingle with VIPs, filmmakers, neighbors and to make new friends while enjoying what Annapolis has to offer!
9) Volunteer. Volunteers are an intricate and crucial part of every film festival. As a volunteer, you'll enjoy perks like free passes to see movies and attend panel discussions! Visit the Film Festival website and click on Volunteer to see what spots need to be filled.
10) Support AFF. By donating and sponsoring the Annapolis Film Festival, you will receive a special pass that allows you VIP access into films, panel discussions, and some great parties! Most importantly, you will help sustain this exciting new cultural event in Annapolis!
About the Annapolis Film Festival
Vision & Mission of AFF
The vision for the Annapolis film festival is to establish Annapolis as a center for filmmakers to showcase different global perspectives and independent thought to a variety of audiences through their work. The long-term goal is to enhance growth both culturally and economically to the Annapolis area and throughout the region.
The mission of the Annapolis Film Festival is to encourage the development of all aspects of the creative arts in and around Annapolis through the cinema experience. We seek independent films, features, documentaries and shorts, that will inspire, enlighten and entertain all audiences on a variety of topics, promoting Annapolis as a cultural arts center.